Reolink Argus 2 – Our Complete and honest Review – 2018
Reolink, a giant and leading provider in home surveillance products, has continued to proof its unique innovations, by pushing technology to the edge. Reolink Argus 2 is one of the best wireless outdoor camera on the market today, which has changed the face of home surveillance technology.
Reolink launched the long awaited cloud service, called “Reolink Cloud” on July 5th, 2018 and has since been in beta testing stage. What this means, is that it is completely free during this stage. This plan comes with a whooping size of 10GB, lasted for 15days, whilst you can also add up to 5 cameras to the account.
Today, we will review and analyse, how Reolink Argus 2 outdoor wireless camera, can help you meet your home surveillance and security need. Reolink Argus 2 has brought a lots on board, over its predecessor, and it is gradually becoming the home surveillance users’ choice of wireless security camera.
Review of Blink Cameras
Last update: 08.07.2018
The best Do-It-Yourself system, very easy to set up.
Basic online guides available on the support page, and also through email.
Main Features of the Reolink Argus 2 wire-free security camera
- Starlight Night Vision
- 1080p Full HD
- 2-Way Audio
- IP65 Weatherproof Rating
- 130° Viewing Angle
- Rapid Wake-Up
- Intelligent Alerts
- PIR Motion Sensor
- Rechargeable Battery
- 100% Wire-Free
- Motion Detection Record
- Solar Powered
Breakdown of the features / Overview of the products
It has a built-in microphone and speaker that make it easier for two way communication, you can talk to your loved ones or delivery man, immediately when a motion had been detected at the front porch.
With the IP65 weatherproof rating, the Argus 2 wireless security camera is able to withstand dust, rain, and fog which could halt the operation of the camera. It is built as a rugged camera.
The 130° viewing angle provides a large field of view (FOV), which literally gives you the ability to monitor a larger area more easily.
Rapid wake is an improvement fix coming from the first version. It allows the version two to immediately wake up and capture from a standby mode.
PIR motion sensor is a smart technology that is integrated into Reolink Argus 2, which will not only trigger video recording when motion is detected, but will also push instant alerts to your app when motion occurs. Reolink can differentiate human from animal, this way, false alerts will be reduced. The sensitivity of this great feature can also be adjusted directly via the app.
Motion detection record works by inserting a micro SD card (not included) into the Argus 2 internal storage slot to have backups of all the motion detection video clips. The clips can be then accessed from the smartphone and PC app.
As said before, the Reolink security camera can also be recharged by a solar panel. There is no need to take down the camera for recharging, the solar panel only needs to be positioned in a good location, where it can receive direct sunlight to be able to charge the camera.
Intelligent alerts will make it possible for you to receive push notifications, email, and siren alerts in real time right on your smartphone.
The Argus 2 is a 100% wire-free home surveillance security camera, which is very easy to install. You just need to plug it and connect it to your reolink app on your smartphone, nothing more.
Design of the Argus 2 and its Installation
You don’t have to study a bulky or complicated user guide to mount the Reolink Argus 2 as all that is needed, is to unbox it and mount to a preferred location, with the optional solar panel.
This is the perfect choice of home surveillance camera for a complete beginner.
They were delighted with the purchase, as they could easily arm one or all of their cameras at once, add or subtract cameras. They also felt they got great value for their money, because Blink app is user friendly – all the functions reside in the mobile app.
What is the setup process? All you need is a few simple instructions and they advise you to connect it and configure it from your smartphone before mounting it on the wall.
Therefore, all you need to do is download and install the Reolink mobile app from your respective app store on your smartphone, unbox your Reolink Argus 2 solar powered security camera, and insert the battery which is the other half of the camera.
Whilst your smartphone is connected to your home wireless network, navigate to the Reolink app.
Reolink just launched their long awaited cloud storage, but it is still in a beta testing phase, which means Reolink Argus 2 users will enjoy 15 days of free cloud storage, worth of 10GB storage size, with up to 5 cameras per account. Great no?
To enjoy the cloud option, head on to Reolink homepage, and sign up an account to join the free beta testing.
User Experience and Performance
Users were happy to express their gratitude to Reolink, for releasing the Argus 2 to the market to compliment the Argus and Argus Pro, which were having many serious issues. Even many Argus and Argus Pro were quick to upgrade to Argus 2, which they said “gave them more peace of mind”.
Nevertheless, many users complained that Reolink could have built the Argus 2 to operate on a dual band Wi-Fi frequency. We believe Reolink will take this into consideration and probably integrate it to their future battery powered wireless cameras.
The Argus 2 is not limited to only one operating system, the app can be installed on android, iOS, PC, and Mac.
With only one account, Reolink Argus 2 allows up to 8 people to stream videos simultanewously with 2 people viewing main-stream videos on mobile phone.
Here’s a video to introduce you to this amazing outdoor security camera:
What’s in the Box
- 1 Reolink Argus 2 camera
- 1 quick user guide and 1 cross-sell guide
- 1 outdoor security mount which includes hook & loop strap
- 1 magnetic base
- 1 rechargeable battery
- 1 silicon weatherproof skin
- 1 reset needle
- 1 mounting hole template
- 1 micro USB cable
- 2 pack of screws and wall anchors
- 1 surveillance sign
Inside the Reolink Argus 2 solar panel which is optional
- 1 solar panel
- 1 mini metal wall mount
- 1 pack of screws and wall anchors
- The intelligent alerts will keep you updated with what happened during your absence. You can watch what your naughty pet is doing.
- The starlight technology embedded in the image sensor allows the camera to see bright images even in a pitch dark condition.
- The camera comes with a silicon skin to serve as a shield and additional protection against the rain, fog, and dust.
- The camera is well built and comes with all the necessary accessories needed. It’s a “plug and play” system, Reolink did a great job there.
- It delivers crisp HD videos and images during the day and night, through the 130° viewing angle and 2 MegaPixels lens.
- Reolink Argus 2 utilizes the Fluent and Clear function in the mobile application to maintain the video quality by switching to 720p when Wi-Fi signal is weak.
- The free 10 GB storage size associated with beta testing plan is more than enough to host video clips.
- Reolink does not have a chat or phone support. They only offer support through email.
- It does not support 5GHz wireless network, which forces users to stick to 2.4GHz.
- No base-station. If the camera is stolen, all the video clips saved on the micro SD card will be gone as well.
- It does not support NVR. It can only work as a standalone camera, and can’t be used as an expansion in an existing IP CCTV system.
- The PIR detection works properly only when the camera is being positioned, in such a way that the subject crosses from side to side in front of the camera, and not walking straight to the camera.
- Another main concern is that the camera does not record 24/7, it only records when it detects motion.
- At the moment, you can not integrate it with any other smart home devices, but we should expect this in the near future.
About the Warranty
- Reolink Argus 2 Skin Full Suit
- Reolink Argus Wall Mount (3-Pack)
- Reolink Argus Skin Full Suit
But certain conditions have to be met before the warranty can be valid.
You must register your product on the product page of the website within 90 days after the purchase. So that you can receive the 2-year limited warranty from your invoice date.
Also, if you want to buy it somewhere else than Reolink.com, be sure that the reseller is an official one. Otherwise, your product might not be qualified for the warranty.
To finish, Fakespot shows that Reolink Argus 2 solar powered wireless security camera is doing fine on the market.
The Final Verdict
Whether you are installing your first home surveillance camera or you are considering an upgrade, Reolink Argus 2 is a great choice. It features tons of handy characteristics, which you can’t easily find on the market for this price tag. Reolink managed to greatly improve the first version and this is why the Argus 2 became one of the best option you have for this price currently.