Blink Camera Review
If you are looking for possible ways you can protect your home, property, and family, then you should consider buying video surveillance equipment that the performance will suit your targets.
Home surveillance equipment are now substantially lower in price and affordable, thereby allowing homeowners to set up video surveillance security system.
The company was initially started as Immedia Semiconductor Inc. in 2009, but pivoted into a consumer electronics company. In 2014, the company had a Kickstarter campaign for their indoor security camera, which raised over US$1 million.
Subsequently, Blink later announced an outdoor security camera, home security system, and video doorbell.
Amazon announced in December 2017 that they had acquired the company. Blink continues to operate as an independent subsidiary. It was anticipated that Blink’s technology will be used for the Amazon Key service.
Today, we will be walking you through review and analysis of Blink Cameras System that is, Blink and Blink XT.
Blink offers two cameras on the market: Blink – an indoor only camera and Blink XT which is an indoor/outdoor version.
Comparison between Blink and Blink XT
|Field of view||110°||110°|
|Camera Power Source||2 Year Battery Life (AA Lithium batteries)||2 Year Battery Life (AA Lithium batteries)|
|Night Vision||White LED Illuminator||Infrared|
|Schedule Automatic On/Off monitoring|
|Live Streaming HD Audio and Video with Push Alerts|
|Motion Activated Instant On Recording|
|Compatible with smart-Home Services||(Alexa Echo & Echo Dot and IFTTT)||(Alexa Echo & Echo Dot and IFTTT)|
|iOS and Android App|
|Free Cloud Storage||2 hours of video clips||2 hours of video clips|
|Zoom||3x Digital Zoom||3x Digital Zoom|
|Requirements||2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi network; minimum 2 Mbps upload speed||2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi network; minimum 2 Mbps upload speed|
|Operating Temperature||32° to 95° F||-4° to 113° F|
Review of Blink Cameras
Last update: 08.07.2018
They are very easy to set up.
1 year warranty and a lifetime support are included.
The Major Difference between Blink and Blink XT
The major difference between these two products is that, Blink is designed to be an indoor and does not have outdoor capabilities, whilst Blink XT is built for outdoor application and can also perform as indoor, but it is a bit pricey for indoor application.
The differences are not much, the Blink has white LED illuminator and records in 720p resolution, whereas Blink XT has an infrared LED for its night vision and records in 1080p resolution.
Finally, they also have different working temperature.
Main Features of the Blink Cameras
- Live HD Video
- Motion Detection
- Instant Alerts
- Auto-arm/Disarm Function
- Built-in Microphone
- Multi-System Support
Breakdown of the features / Overview of the products
Blink has come into limelight through its battery powered security surveillance cameras, by giving customers option to consider installing their basic, small size, wireless design and affordable security cameras.
Whilst these battery-powered and truly wire-free security cameras lack some basic key features, that most systems on the market come standard with, we strongly believe as time goes on, those features will be overly added.
Blink cameras deliver crisp picture and video quality through the embedded 720p and 1080p HD lens respectively. This is enough to ensure that you get a clear view of your home or business, with little or no distortion from any of the two cameras.
The main technology or concept behind Blink cameras is Motion Detection, when these cameras are armed, any detected motion will trigger the recording of a 5 seconds video clip, which can be adjusted to a maximum of 60 seconds.
Instant alerts will keep you updated with the current happenings on your home or private property, by sending a push notification alert with a link to the video attached, so you can decide what proper action to take.
Another important feature in Blink is the Auto-arm/Disarm Function, Let’s say for instance, you want to mow the flowers in the garden and you don’t want to be recorded by your blink camera, you can easily schedule advance time to make the Blink camera inactive. With this function, you can activate the camera to work on specific times and days. You no longer have to worry about forgetting to arm your system before leaving for work in the morning.
Multi-System Support gives users the ability to access multiple Blink systems from different location from one account. Users will have to send an email to Blink support to have their multiple Blink accounts merged.
What is more important than hearing the audio in the video surveillance footage, a built-in microphone allows one-way audio access, so you can both see and hear what is happening at home.
Another powerful feature in Blink cameras system is the Voice Controlled with Amazon Alexa. Blink easily integrates with Amazon Alexa to make the whole process of automatic arming/disarming, a lot easier with only voice command.
Design of the Products and their Installations
Blink security cameras are designed to make installation a breeze, you don’t have to be a tech-savvy to install or use Blink, all which is needed, is to plug the Sync Module into any wall outlet, launch the Blink app and run the setup wizard.
Blink Home Monitor app requires iOS 10 or higher to run on Apple and Android 5.0 Lollipop or higher to run on Android platform.
Here’s a video made by Blink showing you how to set up Blink:
User Experience and Performance
They were delighted with the purchase, as they could easily arm one or all of their cameras at once, add or subtract cameras. They also felt they got great value for their money, because Blink app is user friendly – all the functions reside in the mobile app.
What’s in the box?
The Camera Box contains 1 Blink camera, 2 AA size 1.5v lithium batteries that last 2-years, and 1 mounting kit (consists of a mounting bracket and a mounting screw)
- Blink’s app user interface is very intuitive and one of the best in the market, also Blink and Blink XT accuracy and reliability are awesome.
- Video and audio quality of recorded clips of Blink and Blink XT cameras, are good enough for you to see what’s happening on your home or property.
- The Blink Home Monitor app allows user to adjust a multitude of different settings such as clip length, motion detection sensitivity.
- Blink cameras are extremely simple to setup, very compact and versatile, they easily integrate with Smart services like Amazon echo and IFTTT.
- These cameras are ideal for areas that are much tougher to mount traditional security cameras.
- You will get instant alert on your smartphone whenever motion is detected, with a link to view what set the camera off.
- Blink indoor camera only record video in 720p, whereas Blink XT and most competitors give you options up to 1080p.
- The white LED illuminator on the Blink camera is enough to reveal the camera’s identity and tip-off an intruder or burglar.
- The 2 years longevity given on the batteries is misleading especially when motion activity level is higher.
- Users incur additional cost of replacement of the 2 AA size lithium batteries. Blink could have made it a rechargeable batteries like Arlo Pro and many others.
- It is very disappointing to see that Blink cameras do not have alarm or siren that could go off, if motion is detected.
- Blink cameras system is not compatible with a 5Ghz wireless band, which is another shortcoming from a major player like Amazon in the surveillance industry
- It is very bad to see that Blink cameras do not also have web portal where cameras can be accessed.
- The motion sensor is basic, it will only pick up movement if placed where movement may occur from side-to-side. If someone walks directly toward it in a straight line, it takes longer for it to activate.
- Notifications are slow, they aren’t sent until the video clip has stopped recording as opposed to being notified when it senses motion.
- The audio feature is only one way, you can listen while viewing live feed but you cannot respond and be heard.
About the Warranty
Also comes with 1-year limited warranty with services included. But Immedia Semiconductor – the manufacturer of Blink further stated that, it is users’ responsibility to back up any data, software, or other materials they may have stored using their devices.
It is possible that such data, software or other materials will be lost during service, and they (Blink) will not be responsible for any such damage or loss.
The Final Verdict
Blink cameras are not the best security cameras in the surveillance market, but they are off to a good start with the promising features they have to offer, compared to their competitors.