Best Pan Tilt Zoom Camera – Top 3
Many different options are available on the market concerning pan tilt zoom cameras and it can be difficult for you to choose the appropriate camera. This is why, at SCR.COM we conducted some research and put together an article that reviews the 3 best PTZ security cameras for you.
Table of Contents
- Best Pan Tilt Zoom Camera – Top 3
- First what is a PTZ Camera?
- How is a Pan Tilt Zoom Camera Designed?
- The Benefits Of Pan Tilt Zoom Camera
- Top 1 – Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ Outdoor Security Camera
- Top 2 – Sunba 601-D20X IP PoE+ High Speed PTZ Outdoor Security Camera
- Top 3 – Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ Indoor Security Camera
- Final Advice
First what is a PTZ Camera?
Pan Tilt Zoom otherwise known as PTZ, is a camera that is capable of moving from left to right, up and down with zoom control. PTZ cameras are commonly used in applications such as video surveillance, video conferencing, live production, lecture capture and distance learning.
PTZ cameras are ideal for live monitoring applications, that require wide overview surveillance, and sharp zoomed in views for identification purposes, such as at large retail stores, airports, train stations, logistic centres, and museums.
Fixed lens CCTV cameras are stationary, and their field of views are determined at the time of installation, and will not change without manual modification. Using a PTZ surveillance camera to support the existing fixed lens cameras, will allow more coverage areas.
PTZ cameras can direct the attention to suspicious events. They will only work efficiently, leveraging on the already installed fixed lens cameras. In the event of unusual activity, they can pan and tilt to the required position to observe, and/or follow target movements.
Over the years, there has been an enormous development in PTZ cameras, and clients have realized the flexibility a Pan Tilt Zoom camera has to offer them, over fixed lens cameras.
Check our complete guide with its infographic to easily understand which features you need to prioritise.
How is a Pan Tilt Zoom Camera Designed?
- Motorized Optical lens or Optical lens gear allows the optical lens to perform as parfocal lens (changing in focal length) which is calculated in millimetre.
- Tilt gear allows the PTZ camera to move up and down between 0⁰ – 180⁰ vertical angle.
- Pan gear allows the PTZ camera to rotate on horizontal angle between 0⁰ – 360⁰
The Benefits Of Pan Tilt Zoom Camera
Motion Tracking / Auto Tracking: an invention to the PTZ camera is a built-in firmware program that automatically detects motion of a person or object. This feature allows the PTZ camera to automatically chase the object in its view by panning, tilting or zooming as the object moves.
Auto-Focus: this is another advance feature that enables a PTZ security camera to remain in focus during panning, tilting and zooming without pixel distortion or image quality degradation in focal length adjustment.
Weatherproof: unlike indoor PTZ security cameras, outdoor PTZ cameras are completely protected from dust, oil, and other non-corrosive material. Outdoor PTZ cameras are manufactured with IP66 rating to withstand tough and harsh weather conditions.
Night Vision: another important feature of Pan Tilt Zoom security camera, is the ability to provide clear image under low or no light condition with its infra-red LEDs.
There are tons of Pan Tilt Zoom security cameras on the market today, but after conducting our extensive research, we were able to narrow it down to Top 3 by going with the features, and carefully considered customers’ reviews and many other factors.
Top 1 – Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ Outdoor Security Camera
Employing the pan tilt zoom feature with 12x optical motorized zoom and 16x digital zoom to experience impeccable close range detail as well as continuous 360° pan, 90° tilt capturing every angle.
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ outdoor security camera’s features are listed below:
- Observe footage in Full 1080p HD
- Night vision up to 328 ft. (100m)
- Complete 360° Pan, 90° tilt with auto-flip at 180°
- Get a closer look with 12x optical zoom, 16x digital zoom
- Equipped with a 5.4mm (up to 64mm) focal lens
- Heavy-duty housing and IP66 rating
Breakdown of the Features
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ outdoor security camera, utilizes intelligent alert to send notifications to your computer or smartphone, via the Amcrest view app.
You can record events on this PTZ camera as they happen and store them on your computer, Micro SD Card (up to 128GB), NAS (Network Attached Storage) or Amcrest cloud.
With advanced zone detection, it is easier to create distinct motion detection zones in a customised way to control what you are monitoring, this is an effective way to ensure you only record what you need when it is important.
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ outdoor security camera comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, as well as 1 year replacement warranty.
- Overall picture quality is very good including the night vision.
- The user interface via web browser is very good.
- The camera has great controls that allows user to adjust many important things.
- The optical and digital zoom work perfectly.
- 4 hours free storage and unlimited live streaming per camera.
- The camera does not come with PoE Injector
Top 2 – Sunba 601-D20X IP PoE+ High Speed PTZ Outdoor Security Camera
Sunba 601-D20X PTZ outdoor security camera (601 series) comes with a powerful infrared LED that will provide a superior night vision up to 800ft (244m) that is enough to cover your property depending on the scene.
Features of the aforementioned PTZ camera includes the following:
- Great Vision Quality: 2MP, 1080P, SONY IMX 322 CMOS
- High Speed Pan Tilt Zoom – Range: Pan: 360 degree endless, Tilt: -15 – 90degree (15 degrees upward tilt and 90 degrees downward)
- ONVIF Compliant: Blue Iris, Security Spy Compatible
- 15 degrees upward tilt, a breakthrough for dome cameras
- Power over Ethernet (802.3at)
Breakdown of the Features
You can remotely view the camera with your smartphone (iOS & Android) 24/7 and you can also setup email to receive snapshot alerts.
Sunba 601-D20X comes with 2 year manufacturer warranty on parts and lifetime technical support.
- Operation of the camera is very quiet from 15 feet away.
- Image clarity and color accuracy is very good especially for a 2 megapixel camera.
- 20x optical zoom is incredible.
- The installation is simple and the setup is straightforward.
- Built-in TF card space (inside the camera) up to 64GB.
- Device does not come with audio mic, you need an external DC12V CCTV microphone to support the audio of this camera.
- The device software isn’t the easiest thing to use, you may need to purchase blue Iris to enjoy it.
- The camera cannot be connected to wireless network except with network cable.
- Does not support two way audio.
- Does not come with PoE injector, only came with 12V4A Power Adapter for testing purpose.
Top 3 – Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ Indoor Security Camera
The IP2M-846EB’s powerful 4x optical zoom lens also adds the extra sense of security so you don’t have to compromise any details in your image.
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ indoor security camera’s features are listed below:
- Premium HD 1080p
- Wi-Fi Setup
- Amcrest Cloud
- 360° Horizontal Rotation
- 4x Optical Zoom / 16x Digital Zoom
- 116° Wide Viewing Angle
Breakdown of the Features
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ indoor security camera let you stream live and playback recorded video of your home, your kids, your pets, or your business with Amcrest view app on the go.
The infrared LED provides a clear night vision of up to 98 ft. (30m) in an extremely dark condition, receiving notifications with intelligent motion alerts will never be a problem.
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ indoor security camera also utilizes intelligent alert to send notifications to your computer or smartphone via the Amcrest view app. You can record events on this PTZ camera as they happen and store them on your computer, NAS (Network Attached Storage) or Amcrest cloud.
Amcrest ProHD IP PoE PTZ indoor security camera comes with full 1-year US warranty and lifetime support provided directly from Amcrest.
- It is very easy to set up.
- High quality images and great night vision is extremely good.
- Customer and tech support are awesome.
- Good camera at a reasonable price.
- Power supply and a POE injector are NOT included.
- This camera does not have audio capabilities.
Unlike optical zoom, digital zoom only works by taking or scaling up a central portion of the final image after it is captured and enlarging it but optical zoom which is also known as true zoom lens works by physically moving the camera lens and changing the focal length.
What should then be the rule of thumb when selecting a Pan Tilt Zoom camera? You should consider more importantly an optical zoom PTZ cameras because this is feature you will be using in the live stream to get clarity, detailed and identify the subject or object.
We are not saying digital zoom is irrelevant, digital zoom are only meant to be considered in playback and NOT live stream.