Amcrest 960h Camera System Review
Security cameras are important to protect your home and the Amcrest 960H is a great option if you want to have a peace of mine when you leave your family, home and valuables. In this review, I will detail and highlight its features as well as describe how the system works and what you need to instal it.
Last update: 01.20.2019
Everything you need is in the box. Don’t forget that it is not wireless.
The support is only available during working hours, Monday to Friday.
No unlimited storage
Can be noisy
Summary: Manufactured by Amcrest, this security system has quite a lot of features and options for checking out. Pre-installed 1TB hard drive, great night vision and robust build quality, those are some exemples of this system’s features. Whether you want various quality styles, as well as various amounts of cameras, this Amcrest listing is your one stop shop for all things security.
Reasons to have a Security Camera System
Amcrest 960H Video Security System Overview
- Various styles of 720p, white and black, as well as 960H
- Four HD 800+ TVL cameras, 2 bullet and 2 dome
- Views and records in widescreen, remote viewing
- iPad, iPhone, and Android device capable
- 24 IR LEDS with automatic activation when detected in low light
- Pre-installed 1TB hard drive, expandable
Although the above are great features, there are more: the above mentioned security system from Amcrest is actually fully waterproof, allowing for both indoor and outdoor usage.
Along with this, you’re able to have 984 feet of transmission distance from the device to the DVR, which allows you to virtually place these anywhere depending on the size of your facility. The 500gb hard drive comes pre-installed, and you’re able to expand this memory up to 3 terabytes, which is fantastic for those that need and require 24/7 monitoring of their facilities.
You’ll also be happy to know that the VR is compatible with virtually any monitor that has an HDMI or VGA connection.
With the current 500gb hard drive, you’re able to record continuously with the highest resolution possible for six days straight. While that may not seem like a long time, for the lower end of the space available, this is fantastic.
The idea of being able to expand up to 3 terabytes means that you’re going to be able to record and monitor continuously for quite some time.
Personal Experience with the Amcrest 960h
- One of the advantages of Amcrest 960H product is how many options are available for those that are initially purchasing. From various qualities and sizes to those that need more domes than bullets and vice versa, you can practically put together your own package, catering to your facility and requirements.
- With the ability to monitor and recording for days on end using lower resolutions (more than a month if well done), as well as the inclusion of motion detection, the price per what you get is practically a steal.
- You’re also able to use this with Windows, and multiple Internet browsers, as well as iPhone, and Android thanks to the Amcrest app that connects you to the software. In having this, you can be on the go and have someone monitoring there, as well as checking in on things remotely.
- There is a wide viewing angle offered, as well as night vision offered. Within, the heavy duty metal that’s composed of this system ensures that you’re receiving weatherproof cameras – fantastic for those that don’t have a “roof” or awning of some sort over the area in which they installed the cameras.
- The transmission speed of this camera set is a single coax cable that transmits audio and video, at 30 frames per second in real time, uncompressed footage for a higher quality. When compressed, you lose out on a lot of details and the overall quality.
- One of the disadvantages right off the bat may seem like the “low space” on the included hard drive. Some of the other security systems you may see will have something bigger for 24/7 monitoring; however, the aforementioned is expandable up to 3 terabytes, which is awesome, but for those that want to get started immediately and don’t want to have to purchase anything to expand the space, the aforementioned may not be for you.
– Despite this, the quality of the cameras that are recording are fantastic, and the expandable memory is actually more of an advantage than not to those optimistic. You’re able to customize how much space you have to work with.
In terms of days, this “disadvantage” may not be so much of a disadvantage at all – as you’re able to record continuously on the highest resolution for six days straight. When you upgrade to the maximum of 3 terabytes, you’re able to record for even longer and have a great way of monitoring without having to constantly delete recordings and make space elsewhere. It’s actually more convenient than not – so don’t automatically write off this security system just because it “only” comes with a 1TB HDD initially.
- Last but not least, some people have had issues with the fans being a little too loud in the system, but this isn’t happening to everyone, just something that has been observed over time for a very select set of.
User Experience and Performance
Overall, the user experience is fairly good, and so is the performance.
If you’re not seasoned in the world of technology, you may need a hand when installing, as it’s not plug and play like other security systems.
The performance is of high quality and the only issue you may need to get past is the initial setup – which may be due to a lack of knowledge or experience on installing security systems. Those who are more seasoned will have no issues with installing this system.
Here a small overview of the system working on Windows: